Friday, March 20, 2009

The Ripple Effect


My parents live on Whidbey Island and we enjoy a week's vacation on the island two times a year. In the past I've always enjoyed perusing the small local shops - much as many folks do here in Hood River while visiting the Gorge. Though with my strict budget in mind I've rarely spent money, that is, until the last year or two.

I think it's the perspective of running a retail business of my own that has inspired me to increase my small purchasing. There is nothing quite so discouraging for a small retail shop than to have customer after customer come in, tell you how much they love it, make a request or two about inventory and then leave without a purchase.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about the beloved local regulars who intentionally shop with us and also come by just to say hi once in while. And the last thing I want is for someone to make a token purchase of something they really don't need nor want. But what I've recognized in myself - when I'm on the other end of the counter - is a desire to support small business. And when I'm in a retail shop that is working to create a lovely little niche for itself and speaks to me in one way or another I can support that effort with a purchase. In my case, it's often a small purchase - a gift for a friend, or relative, a bar of chocolate, a book I can enjoy and pass along.

And here's the interesting part. As I walk out of the shop - I feel good! Most cases I'm still being frugal - not an over the top purchase for my budget. Often it's for someone else - that feels great anticipating their future enjoyment. And I've supported a local shop that I really hope will continue to be there when next I come this way again.

I used to think - how will my one little drop in the bucket make a difference? As a retailer I now know that the ripples of one little purchase, on top of another little purchase, followed by another little purchase create a great deal of difference in the expansion of abundance and prosperity both literally and figuratively.

Karen
>