Friday, April 16, 2010

Thoughts on an apple core

A customer came in the store the other day eating an apple.  As he finished, he asked if I had a trash can he so he could toss the core.  When I opened our little BioBag compost pale for him, he got a funny look on his face.

"Is that for compost?" he asked.  "Sure is," I answered.

Still holding the core, he took his time looking at the contents of my food waste bag-- so I looked too.  Coffee grounds, filters, and tea bags from our sample table, an avocado peel from Karen's lunch the day before, my own latest apple core poking out below-- pretty typical for a Small Planet week. 

"What do you do with it?" he asked.

"Oh, take it home to my compost pile," I said.

He tossed the core in and gave me a big smile, "I could do that too."

I must have looked amused, because he continued.  "No, I mean, I compost at home but at my office we just throw all of the food stuff in the trash.  We make coffee, have snacks or lunches.  I never thought about taking it home."

At Small Planet we usually take home two small bags of food waste a week plus a large bag of recyclables.  That means that what is left to go to the landfill is usually a very small bag once a week or less.  Every office or workspace would be different, but adding a food waste container in the break room or near the coffee maker is an easy start.  Our Biobag compostable bags make this easy and mess-free too. 

Earth Day is coming up-- why not green the office today?

Oh, and BioBags are the April Special on our webshop-- email us if you also need us to send along the handy food waste bucket too.  --DeLona
>